Re: Fertilizing

In a message dated 8/18/99 9:53:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
wilddog@venus.net writes:

<< Dirt will actually spoil in a container but simple clay sprinkled on top of
 a container does well because it has a good cation exchange numbers. >>

Hi Butch,

I always appreciate your explanations of how organic materials get
incorporated into the soil and the fact that it's much better (as well as
easier) to let the little "critters" do the mixing for us.

My question now for you is...WHAT are cation exchange numbers and how does
that make simple clay good in a pot as opposed to dirt?  By the way, I
thought I'd do the work myself and look it up in AOL's dictionary....and I
got a good chuckle to see that their definition didn't enlighten me a bit.
So would you please explain it in terms that a novice can understand?

Cindy Johnson
White Bear Lake, MN
zone 4a