Re: bed prep

What Patsy and Van Wade are doing is creating a container in the ground
which under intensive watering and fertilizer will grow beautiful plants.
And, my system will take 3 years to really get started but it will in the
long run grow better plants with only the addition of small amounts of
fertilizer (mostly nitrogen).

In my system the plants are more disease, pest and drought resistant. This
fact has been born out in many studies. Many of which I've referenced over
the years as they've come up. Oops, not mine. This work is being done all
over the world. The only thing I've done is study and follow but my bright
red clay is now a rich brown and grows hosta like weeds with no fertilizer.

Just this year with the drought in the east a mulch study was reported by
the USDA on corn and tomatoes performing even with the drought. The un
mulched plants produced nothing with out irrigation.

At 06:26 PM 8/18/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Is one simply spinning one's wheels(and breaking his/her back) by double
>digging; retain the clay soil; mix it with Pro-Mix or the like; add some
>bark; add Green Sand; add sharp sand; and, then putting this mixture back in
>the area whence the clay soil was taken?
>I think this is what P.Stygall did and her garden is ne plus ultra. The
>plantations are superb and huge. I don't think your formula will give
>success; indeed, it appears it would take years to break up the clay.
>Clyde Crockett z5
Butch Ragland So. Indiana zone 5