Re: Fertilizing

CCREDUX@aol.com wrote:

>  Yes indeed. I think the sooner and the better we do so all the better.I for
> one shall NOT use the Butch Rangland method. If you want to grow beautiful
> hostas, use the Stygall formula,

I couldn't agree more, Clyde, but I do so with the full knowledge of the
"harm" I am doing to the soil. I take comfort, however, in the knowledge
that this tiny speck of the earth I am tilling here is quite
insignificant compared to the huge agricultural operations in the world.
What Patsy is doing gives pleasure to all who have seen it
(unfortunately I have not), and she is to be complimented for it. It's
scope is small enough that it won't hurt a thing as far as I can see,
and all the hosta growers put together probably don't equal one big
tobacco field in North Carolina. I understand that tobacco needs HUGE
amounts of fertilizer to develop properly. The fertilizers used are all
synthetic chemicals, including nitrogen produce at enormous costs due to
electrical power needed to make the conversions, or ammonia used to
spray on the fields. An aside, but just consider, for a moment, the huge
costs of producing such a directly deadly crop to humans. Just keeping
people alive who have destroyed a good portion of their body with
tobacco crops is staggering.  JML