meeting a giant in the hosta world. It so happens my interest was
sparked by a gardener and a garden that would fall under the
"unpreferred" status as set forth by the AHS.

#1. What started your interest in hostas ?

In fall 1993 the first meeting of the Delmarva Hosta Society was held at
the garden of Alex Summers. Alex had over 1,500 cultivars at the time
and has even more today. The amazing diversity and beauty of the genus
hosta was overwhelming.

#2. Did you have a " first-love", if so, which hosta ?

My first love was the hosta garden of Alex Summers.  I was taken by mass
plantings of hundreds of hosta cultivars.
Alex's garden was and still is full of unregistered hostas. It is
impossible to be a serious collector of hostas and not have unregistered
hostas in your garden. Ditto for nurseries.

I think the root of the problem is that all hostas start their lives

How's that for tying two threads together?

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7