Re: AHS Incorporation/Preferred Growers, etc.

Diane wrote:

>   I do like the "grandfather" idea of automatically registering any
> hosta named before a certain date

The idea of automatically registering hostas raises questions.  What if someone
doesn't want a hosta registered?  Many of the top breeders, Aden, Seaver, Benedict,
and others, register some of their plants but decide for whatever reason not to
register others.  Is that something that should be left to the breeder, or should
all named plants be registered?  I think first we have to come to a consensus about
what registration signifies.  Should only "good" plants be registered?  Should I
register any plant that I give to a friend?  If someone wants to buy one of my
unstable breeding plants do I register it first?

>   And to respond to the interesting point that the AHS bylaws have not
> been resubmitted for changes to the state of Minnesota leads me to
> believe that all our worries are for nought.  If they have not been
> resubmitted for changes, then the IAC is automatically null and void,
> and cannot be enforced upon our membership!  If I am wrong in this
> theory, and supposition, please correct me. If I'm right, then it may be
> time to celebrate! :)

This idea should be abandoned because it is a bad idea, not because of legal
technicalities.  If there is no agreement that it is a bad idea, it will be back.

Chick