Re: Commercial interest / determined masses / interesting subjects

In a message dated 08/27/1999 8:54:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jlanier@yancey.main.nc.us writes:

<< I eMailed Jim L.privately a bit ago, and asked him, among other things,
 to be kind enough to simply point out the errors in Jim Hawes points. I
 now really think he should do this publicly.  I also asked Jim L. what
 his general background is and especially as it relates to the hosta
 society, and hostas. >>

To Lanier, Sandy Straka, and all the others who have replied both privately
and publicly,

Most of you need to reread my posting:
Subj:   Re: Preferred Growers, etc.
Date:   08/27/1999 12:06:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:   Lewandjim

I did NOT disagree with Jim Hawes' assertions regarding "preferred growers",
etc. -but in fact agreed with them. A POINT ALL OF YOU SEEM TO HAVE TOTALLY

I opposed the personal attack on Clarence Falstad who is every bit as
honorable as any of you. I realize he can defend himself but he should NOT
have a need to do so for expressing the same opinions you all hold sacred
until another exercises his right! There is a proper and wrong way to debate
a subject. This forum has hopefully descended to its nadir in this respect
and will begin to regain some civility.

If I miscommunicated at all, it may have been in terms of "commercial
domination" of AHS. My reference here was to the bigger commercial operations
such as the TC labs and the larger nurseries - and not to the "mom 'n pop"
nursery operations and amateur hybridizers which are being hurt by these AHS

As to my background, it shouldn't matter except to an elitist! I previously
stated my involvement with hostas which most of you ignored before so why
state it again. As to my credentials, I am a botanical systematist and
cytogeneticist by training but worked as a Zoological Park curator

Take your best licks. I'm finished with this discussion.

    Jim Langhammer