25,000 genes

Ben:

In your response about streaked Gold Standard you state that plants
have about 25,000 genes.  The figures I have always seen say between
5,000 and 10,000.  Now, you are a professor at a prestigious
university, so you may have access to more recent resaerch then I
have.  Human Beings are estimated to have about 100,000 genes, so I
would think that 25,000 for plants might be a bit high, although not
total impossible.  Do you have any references that you can post on
this robin to support the 25,000 figure or is this another one of your
famous zonneveld numbers?

Now Ben, just about everytime I am beginning to think you know
something about higher plants you say something like "Why is is that
if a single gene change can be so important that changing the identity
of a pair of chromosomes as is happening in a mitotic recombinant...."
Why in the world do you think mitotic crossing over in hostas is a
common event when NO one has ever demonstrated mitotic crossing over
in a higher plant!  Ben, if mitotic crossing over is common in hostas
PROVE it and you will be VERY famous!  If mitotic crossing over is so
common in hostas either you or someone else could easily set up the
experiment to prove it.  Why haven't other geneticists proven this if
it is so common?  Why are you so hung up on something that is so rare
that it has never been demonstrated in a higher plant and even in
bactera and fungus where a few indicences of mitotic crossing over
have been demonstrated they had to devise methods to screen hundreds
of millions of individuals to fine the few miototic cross overs!

Joe Halinar