Re: Music and Web Sites

Good Morning, Lori, Bob, and wonderful hosta-open list,
Just for the fun of it yesterday, while at a friend's house doing a little
computer work, I brought up the revised http://www.wnyhostasociety.org web
site with AOL.  When the home page was almost loaded, I got a message from
the browser about javascript errors (I believe it just called them "script
errors"), and the browser asked if I wanted to continue to load the page.
(This was AFTER you said that you removed the MIDI file, Lori).  So Lori, as
Bob has said, I'm thinking that the errors originate from the hosting
company, and not your music file.

As Hosta Societies move forward toward putting up more and more web sites,
the computer savvy folks on these lists are going to be the pioneers and
beta testers of those sites.  They will be the HTML coders, the people
putting up the calendars of events and the newsletters.   I hope people
don't get too impatient about us sharing this info because we need to have
people letting the webmaster's know when something isn't working quite
right, or when it IS working right, for that matter.  And we need beta
testers with all kinds of browsers.  (e.g. I discovered that people get a
VERY different look from the http://rohs.org home page than I do but I don't
really know what to do about it.  For some, the text bleeds in to the
picture, if they are using a very large font.  Since I have a 17" monitor
and use a small font, my experience is totally different).

I'm running a Domain Name Server, the Apache web server, a sendmail server,
an Xserver GUI desktop, Netscape as a browser, and several applications, all
from just one computer in a small LAN.  This allows me to host web sites for
nominal costs.  It also allows me to screw things up so badly that for days
on end I can have troubles while learning some of this technology.  I
appreciate it when people let me know when something is not working because
how else would I sometimes know?  Applications can be working fine for me
but not even be viewable by others (because I've accidentally caught off
access to some service).

Recently, I've been busy trying to build a resource that I am calling the
"new Hosta Discussion Forum" - HDF for short (at
http://dev.hostahaven.com/discus at present).  It has some advantages and I
like the way the Discus software works.  And, we're starting to have some
pretty good sharing taking place.  I do hope as people test it more and
more, that when it breaks (not if), folks will not hesitate to let me know.
I also appreciate it when people let me know about security holes, so if
anyone feels extra computer savvy today and wants to try and penetrate my
"firewall", I'd appreciate that as well (If you get through in the next
week, and let me know, there's a free Hosta in it for you!).

So yes, there are some computer savvy folks on this list but since systems
change so quickly, it's real hard getting it all right all of the time.  And
there are probably at least 10-20 different browsers being used even by this
small of a group.  Since the plug-ins work some of the time and not others,
I believe it's good to occassionally share some of this info so that others
can benefit from some of this experience.  I suppose we could take this
private if we start to get real specific, but I do hope that people will
feel free to tell me when something I've posted doesn't work quite right.

When Charles from OTP gave us the web site URL for the BHHS yesterday, I had
some fun browsing around the place, discovering that Diane Grenfell is a
vendor with the Apple Court Nursery (I hadn't known that).  I also did a
little beta testing while there and would let them know if something didn't
work.  Broken or out of date links, pages that don't load quite right; these
are things that I feel web masters want to know so I do hope people will
allow some of this sharing to occur without getting too antsy.

Happy Hosta--and happy computing!

Andrew Lietzow