Re: another dumb seedling question

,
>I'm thinking about hostas in the trade that start out white or mostly
>white and then turn green and the only ones I can think of are sports of
>other plants. When the sports first emerged, they had the mother plant
>to live off of until the point the sport was severed and allowed to live
>on its own.

Thanks for the lesson.  I hadn't been thinking about the white hostas
starting as sports but it does make the most sense.
Would a hosta then that changes from green to white over the summer
have a more difficult time surviving the winter or just be slow emerging in
spring?  It would be using up all of it's stored energy before fall and with
minimal chlorophyll not be able to really replace it.  Of course if it's not
actively growing it wouldn't be using as much energy as a newly emerging
plant does  in the spring either.
Joanne
jopyz@earthlink.net