Re: new expensive hostas

>How do you tell if the money is worth it?  I would not mind paying $50 or
>dollars for an unbelievably wonderful hosta that maintains its appearance

I suppose the reputation of the hybridizer would be one factor.  But as
Clyde said if you have specific plants in mind let us know, maybe someone
has some experience with them.
Some of the more expensive one's I've bought that I felt were well worth the
price: Pandora's Box, Emerald Necklace,Patriots Fire.
There are more I'm sure just can't think of them offhand.