Re: Genes

>Anthocyanin pigment develops when the part of the plant is exposed to
>the sun. I think I understand this correctly. Once the temperature
>becomes to high we loose the red. In reading about the Chinese
>primrose we learn that it flowers red if the bud is formed below 86
>degrees but above that temperature the flower is white.

Sunlight does tend to promote anthocyanidin synthesis IF the genes are
already there.  A generalization of anthocyanidin pigmentation in
plants is something like this: a dominant complementary gene pair for
the presence/absence of pigment; either a single dominant or
complementary major inhibitor gene that inhibits synthesis genes;
temperature sensitive inhibitors genes; several genes for adding OH
groups to make the different anthocyanidins and several genes for
attaching different sugars to make the final anthocyanin glyoside;
genes for concentration of pigment, both qualitive and quantitive, and
they may also be temperature senstive.

Cold temperatures seem to promote synthesis, warm temperature inhibit,
but that will depend on what temperature sensitive genes are present.
I have some hosta seedlings that have nice red petioles for about a
week or two at most while others remain red all year.

>You that are talking of putting a daylilie flower on a hosta, please
>stop to consider what a daylilie blossom looks like the day after.

Have you looked at what a hosta flower looks like a day or two after
opening - like a daylily flower, but only smaller.  Ok, so lets put
lily flowers on hostas instead.  Actually, I was thinking more about
improving daylilies by adding hosta foliage rather then to "improve"
hostas with daylily flowers.  I guess it's just which direction you
are thinking from.

Joe Halinar