Fwd: Fine Gardening - February 2000 issue/Hillbilly Blues

In a message dated 12/8/1999 11:39:48 AM Central Standard Time,
tony@plantdel.com writes:

<< Dear Clyde:

    The cross for H. 'Hillbilly Blues' was H. 'Hadspen Blue' x H. kikutii (the
 plant parading as H. 'Hirao 59').  It is a 1992 seedling, and by far and
 away the best plant from this cross.  The parent plant (now 7 years old) is
 36" wide x only 10" tall with very deeply impressed veins and flowering in
 September with very nice H. kikutii like flowers.

Since many wanted to know more about 'Hillbilly Blues' I am posting Tony's
reply to my request for info about it.

Clyde Crockett z5

Dear Clyde:

    The cross for H. 'Hillbilly Blues' was H. 'Hadspen Blue' x H. kikutii (the
plant parading as H. 'Hirao 59').  It is a 1992 seedling, and by far and
away the best plant from this cross.  The parent plant (now 7 years old) is
36" wide x only 10" tall with very deeply impressed veins and flowering in
September with very nice H. kikutii like flowers.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road