Re: Dogs - nothing to do with hostas

	REALLY late for me to get into this discussion, but I just can't resist
praising my wonderful Border Collie, Clia. She exhibits an unparalleled
degree of individual initiative, and is, without doubt, the most
beautiful, lovable, friendly, vivacious, wonderful, energetic dog I have
ever owned. Clia would like nothing more than to be at our side
constantly, including in the bed (which we don't allow), but she does
spend a whole lot of time roaming around outside on her own. Her
favorite activities include long walks up and down mountain trails, and
retrieving things, including rocks, of all things! In fact, when you sit
down to rest, Clia will cheerfully bring you a rock to throw for her,
and no matter where  you throw it she will search for it until she finds
the very rock. Believe me, you get tired of the game LONG before she
does. She loves to walk in a good snow storm, but you can't force her
out the door if it's raining. Clia is a dog every hosta gardener needs,
who has deer and any other varmit to deal with. Absolutely without peer.
Best of all, everybody is her friend, and they all get the same juicy
kisses that we do. Her few bad habits include picking and eating low
hanging apples, peaches, plums and grapes; a definite sweet tooth.
Another of her nagging little traits is her tendency to "herd" us when
she realizes we are headed home from a walk, or going in the house after
chores of any kind including cutting the grass. Sometimes she is a
nuisance, but most of the time it just gives  you a wonderful feeling to
know she has enjoyed us so much. This is a reason, among MANY others
that we don't get her some animals to herd, like sheep etc. I did tie
this one a bit into growing hostas, and I'm also glad to have a place to
discuss human interest things once in a while, especially at Christmas.
We want to wish you all the very best of everything during the holiday
season, and a prosperous New Year. I was also going to expound upon the
question of "What's a hosta liner etc.", but Jim Anderson covered it in
a most helpful way, so I won't bother with it any further.
John Lanier, Burnsville, NC

Kate Ardissono wrote:
> A Boston Terrier may be just the ticket...  I haven't met one yet that did
> not like curling in a lap.. They are not cold tolerant so my friends made
> polarfleece outfits for theirs.  I like Dachshunds too. Or a toy poodle if
> it's for your wife they are definitely ladies dogs.
> Kate
MissVitro Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory
John and Laura Lanier
Route 9  Box 908
Burnsville, NC  28714
(828) 682-4174