Moms and hostas and Alzheimer's

Paula,
I'm so glad you're able to take the time to be with your Mother, what ever
the future holds. Several years ago, my Mother ( So.Virginia), my sister
(Columbus, OH) and I started taking trips every year or so. We've driven
all over the Midwest (hitting every quilt store we could find), driven all
over NC (ditto on the quilt stores) and even went to Ireland for two weeks.
Good thing I wasn't in to hostas when we started this or the car would have
been full of plants at the end instead of fabric! My father calls it the
"Thelma and Louise and Thema-and-Louise's-Mother" trips. We may go to the
Cotswolds (England) in October this year. Any good Hosta gardens to see
there? Anyway, it has really been an experience I wouldn't trade for all
the hostas in the world. Highly recommend it; sort of the equivalent of The
Boys going on long hunting trips.

Sad news to report on the subject of Alzheimer's, though. Many of you who
are into herb's as well as hostas will recognise the name of Thomas
DeBaggio, who runs a nursery in VA and has been the author of many
wonderful books on herbs. I heard NPR Weds. that he suffers from early
onset Alzheimer's. He is writing a daily journal about the experience (they
were interviewing him on ATC) which he hopes will help those afflicted with
the disease and their caregivers. It gave me comfort (as well as sadness)
to listen to him. Aside from being one of my favorite garden authors, we
have Alzheimer's in the family on my mother's side, and always in the back
of my mind is the possibility of experiencing it myself or seeing it devour
someone I love.

Anyway, enough sadness here on Christmas Eve. Gotta go and bid on some of
those hostas!

Gerry