Flower removal

In the last issue of the Journal in the article on Environmental Influences there is mention that "flowering promotes and increase in the number of shoots per crown". Can anyone expand on this? My gardening partner ( I won't mention Betty Hammond by name ) often removes scapes on some varieties either during blossoming or immediately thereafter. Does this have the effect of slowing the increase of the clump?  At what point does scape removal no longer affect the clump growth?

Hank Zumach
Stoddard, WI
zone 4B