Re: Flower removal

In a message dated 2/2/00 4:02:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, zumach@execpc.com

<< Does this have the effect of slowing the increase of the clump?  At what
point does scape removal no longer affect the clump growth?

Hank, this is a great question, one that I have never heard answered to
finality.  For the last two years I have removed blooms from my small plants
to encourage the growth to go to the whole plant and the results is that they
continue to put up bloom scapes.  So the plant continues to put its energy
into blooming.

This would be good if you wanted a particular variety to bloom late for
pollination reasons, to make crosses that would not occur naturally.  But
from now on I am letting my hostas bloom when they should.  N.