Re[2]: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #722

We have watched  the twisted world of abnormal bloom scapes fro years, with
only a few conclusions:

1. the plants are usually the unstable ones, and the scape abnormality is a
sign that the plant is in transition, to another form

     2. the seeds  from those scapes have rarely had any of the effect

     3. sometimes the plant is destined to " flame out" and die after this
     show. I watched a seedling of my mother's for a couple of years, with
     a perfect barbershop pole green/white spiral all the way up - very
     unique, with beautiful splashed fasciated leaves - kept all the seeds,
     which didn't show any of this and the next year the clump was GONE.
     Yes all dead. Believe it was a 'Beatrice' or 'Gala" offspring.

     Bob Whitmore showed me a Sagae bloom scape a couple of years ago in
     Indianapolis that was 1-1.5 inches thick, like a broom handle. The
     plant, according to Bob was not exceptional other than that thick
     bloom scape. I don't know what became of that particular plant.

     Plantaginea has sent up 1" thick bloom scapes from very old plants,
     then the next couple of years had limited bloom activity. Actually saw
     where it did this before center die-out, which makes sense.