Heat treatment for foliar nematodes

I have a small clump of 'Eventide' that looked like it may have had foliar
nematode symptoms late last fall.  At the Winter Scientific meeting it was
reported that the hot water treatment for this appears to be very effective.
At the AHS website it tells how to "cook" the plant, and says it is usually
done in February, about a month before emergence. (That is more than a month
before emergence in NW Indiana, where I live).  However, if I wanted to do
this, I am assuming the plant must first be thawed out. How this would be
done - remove all soil, or thaw soil and all slowly, wait until the ground
thaws to dig the clump, or what?
Thanks,
Bev Stegeman