Re: Heat treatment for foliar nematodes

Bev, sounds like you are at the mercy of mother nature regarding when you can
get your hosta out of the ground.  I have a plant that I too want to try the
hot water treatment on.  Last fall, I potted it up and it is spending the
winter in the garage (occasionally watered).  Thawing should be done slowly,
so I am waiting for some of those warm days we seem to always get in
February.  I would then move it to the coolest part of my basement for a day
or so before washing off the dirt and "cooking".

My question regarding this process, is say a person has a multi-division
plant.  The bigger the mass, the less likely the critters in the middle will
die, so do you have to divide into single divisions before heating?

I was disappointed none of the knowledgeable people on these Robins responded
to your original request for help.  Foliar Nematodes is a serious problem.
Several of the local societies have donated large sums of money which the AHS
is using to fund Foliar Nematode research.  Surely there are people who can
add educated input to this topic.
Ray Rodgers, Bartonville, IL, CIHS, Zone 5
In a message dated 02/04/2000 6:43:56 PM Central Standard Time,