Re[2]: fixing up your soil /weird fertility

When I moved to Delaware in 1982 I bought a country lot ( 2/3 acre ) with
no shade. As I planned for shade, which I will be discussing at the class I
am giving at the upcoming Hostas College, I realized I could find shade
faster than I could grow it.

A nearby farmer friend had a perfect north-south tree line of high old
growth oaks, beech and poplar bordering his fields. I had heard that he
would rent out small parcels of ground for people who wanted a small
vegetable garden but didn't have good ground.

I asked him if he could rent me some ground for a garden, but it needed to
be " heavy shade". He asked me about my gardening background, and
concluding that farming in Detroit is a lost art, politely informed me that
all plants grow better in the sun. I replied that I only grew things in the
shade. He said " I have the perfect spot for you, sonny" and he plowed his
fields 50 feet out, along the tree line for 300 yards: perfect morning sun,
daytime shade, good soil, sloped down for rain runoff, etc.

     He said "I can't grow anything here; you're welcome to try!"

     Tens of thousands of hostas later, he got concerned and asked me to
     remove them before they started taking over his fields.
     bruce