Re: fixing up your soil /weird fertility

Only brat am I,  overprotected and coddled, and dragged to every "National
Farm and Garden meeting".  Mother was into arranging flowers and making
wreaths and stuff and I was into the real Gardening.  One of our biggest
jokes was my attempt to grow carrots and corn on my own.  I was about 14 at
the time.  I dug a plot and planted my seeds for Carrots and Corn.  I also
planted some potato eyes.  Well I didn't till the carrots soil deep enough
so I had 3 inch long carrots that were about 4 inches in diameter solid then
they spilt off into "Legs".  I also didn't realize that corn had to be
planted in rows for pollination.  That Christmas at the Garden club
Christmas sale and gathering the ladies gave me a gardening hat with panels
of corn and carrots.  I still have that hat somewhere.
It's amazing how our family influences our later life.