Re: Pay Pal - explained

Pat Mora wrote:
RE:>>Would someone explain? Required balance, fee for use, etc?.

Paypal.com doesn't cost to receive money IF the recipient is a regular
consumer.  Check out
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/auc/index-outside for more
info.   (You are limited to receiving $100/month in credit card
payments, so you would need to convert to a business user if your volume
grew above this amount).  This is one way to keep away from receiving
bad checks.  They provide a listing of your transactions, online, for up
to five years (or so their support department states).  I've had
literally hundreds of paypal.com transactions.   There is NO fee for use
IF you are a regular consumer and not a business (they make their money
from the businesses that are online and the float).

In August of last year, I stopped taking "regular" credit card payments
online because it was quite the hassle processing them.  I decided not
to implement a direct interface to a credit card processing center
because most of my customers were paypal.com members anyhow.  Lots of my
vendors accept paypal.com payments, too, so moving money around is easy
and they provide many options for viewing and sorting your transactions.

If you sign up here,
https://secure.paypal.com/affil/pal=andrewl%40hostahaven.com , you will
receive a five dollar credit.  And, if you someday jump through all of
their hoops, I receive $5.00, too, but don't worry about that at this
point.  I didn't sign up because it was good for the person referring
me, but that IS part of the reason people talk about it--they have an
amazing marketing plan.  Paypal.com has come from nowhere to over
4,000,000 subscribers in about 1-1/2 years.

I could tell you more, but you can get the scoop straight from them.
This is how I accept payments online and it's quite slick.  You could do
this fairly quickly for sales of your CD.  You'd add a button like they
talk about at your site and bingo, whenever people click on it, they
could send you money from their paypal.com account to yours.  Take a
look at this site thtp://rohs.org/hosta_handbook.html for an example.  I
didn't put the paypal.com button there because I send people a request
for payment so that they get the info correct.  Lot's of people don't
type that well, so they get the auction number wrong, or my email
address wrong, or the payment amount is wrong because they don't get the
shipping calculated correctly, etc.  It's just easier for me if I send
them a "request for payment" via paypal.com.

As a business, I have to pay 2.2% plus $.30/transaction.  This is fairly
standard for CC processing, except that most credit
card processing companies charge you a flat $10/month even if you don't
send any charges through.  This gets to
be expensive if you don't do that much credit card business online.  And
they want all kinds of info on your business, including pictures of your
office, copies of your incorporation docs, etc. Paypal.com is much
easier so that is why I use it.  You can check them out and let me know
if you have any questions.

Sometimes, I sign my messages...

Andrew Lietzow
(At any given moment) On a continuum between "dumb as a stump" and
Hope you're catching me on a good day...8<)