seedlings etc

Here's the story...

Start with one clean never been used container with tight fitting clear
dome.  Add Promix for seedlings, (supposed to be sterile).  Pour boiling
water over, then nuke in the microwave for 2 mins for good measure.
Allow to cool, sprinkle with h. chirifu seed, close lid.

The lid was opened once momentarily to add a little extra water after a
couple of weeks.  I now have delightful (translation - yuck!) thin white
worms in the mix, that I believe are fungus gnat larva.  Are these
fungus gnat larva????  Can anyone hazard a guess as to how these manage
to appear in a closed sterile environment?  Is it possible these things
were in the seed?  Or the bit of water I added later?

Thanks