Neem Oil

Narda asked about how Betsy's Neem Oil was doing.  I am not Betsy but I
do use Neem Oil to control fungus gnats.  I mix Neem Oil (at label rates)
with Dyna Gro's Foliar fertilizer and with ProTeckt, a soluble silicone
product which helps reduce moisture leaving the leaves - thus reduces the
need for watering quite as often.  This product is used mostly with
hydroponics.

I place a yellow sticky strip among the trays to monitor levels of fungus
gnats.  I have had one of these up for almost 2 months and have perhaps
100 gnats stuck to it - and that is with 6 trays full of plants.
Whenever I see a gnat, out comes the little pump spray bottle (get from
KMart for $5.99 - best gardening buy on the market!!) and the trays get a
light going over.

Anytime I bring in a pot from outside (as I did this weekend), not only
does the pot get soaked from the bottom, but the top is drenched with the
Neem Oil mix, as described above.  This eliminates the fungus gnats from
this source.

Charles Tuttle
Columbus  OH