From: "Chuck & Tarri Levine" <levi0052@tc.umn.edu>
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2001 6:45 PM
Subject: [MNgardens] Disease alert! Daylily Rust

Today at the Hemerocallis meeting Norm Baker told us about a horrible
new daylily rust that is threatening to destroy daylilies in this
country like a plague. It is a rust disease that has been found in
Florida that can kill your plants within like 3 days of infection. It
has an alternate host of Patrinia and would you believe ... hosta! He
gave two web pages to check for information.
If you grow either daylilies, hosta or Patrinia you had better check
this out!

Chuck wrote again:
he said to be cautious and
avoid buying plants with all the foliage removed, call the U of MN Plant
Pathology dept. right away if you think you have it, buy local stock and be
cautious about plants bought from Florida, treat with a rotation of three
different fungicides as it evolves resistant strains fast, consider not
growing Patrinia, and check out the web pages I posted so you know if it
shows up! Elsie, Bill and Russ - what do you remember from his talk?
Russ wrote:
I talked to Gary Schaben after the meeting and he is concerned but not as
concerned as Norm.
One thing Norm talked about was if it gets in your greenhouse, You are in bad
I think, let's buy local until we hear more.  Most of the local growers were
at the meeting and I am sure that all are familiar with the problem so they
will be watching.  Also if you do get new imported plants, Isolate them for a
while.  The ones which are imported from other countries will come with the
leaves cut way back nearly to the crown.  The rust shows up very soon so
Isolation might help.