Discussion of the causes of sports

Hi everyone,
    I think the discussion on the origin of sports in hosta is a fascinating one. What I want to do is remind our scientists to try and keep it on a level the rest of us can deal with. I remember that the best science teachers I had in school were those who could tie their scientific explanations of things to real- world examples we had all seen but had not understood the cause of. Just because we lay people have not had any instruction in the advanced sciences does not mean we can't undestand if we have it explained in terms we can grasp. I know this is not easy, but in the long run it will be worthwile. This discussion would be of little profit if only two or three people left with any real understanding of the conclusions that were reached here.
    To our instructors:  Please try to give examples that we may have seen or heard about. It can make the difference in whether we understand. I'm not saying you should limit yourselves to one syllable words, just add a little explanation in areas where people not in the plant sciences might need it.
                                                                                                                 .... Bill Meyer