Rose babies/Chicken Soup for the Soul - 02-09-02

  • Subject: Rose babies/Chicken Soup for the Soul - 02-09-02
  • From: SECK138@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 15:12:20 EST

In a message dated 02/09/2002 12:08:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, LinQuilt writes:

             The Rose Babies
             By Georgia A. Hubley

     Most people press a flower in a book when they wish to
keep it as a memento.  My mother doesn't believe in
preserving a memory by hiding it.  Her motto is, "Don't
press it!  When will you look at it again tucked away in a
book?  Make it grow!  Enjoy its beauty as a living flower,
not as a withered keepsake."
     That's my mother.  She can make anything grow.
     Recently, Mom received a mixed bouquet of flowers from
her sister for her birthday.  She is especially fond of
roses and was delighted to find two roses in the bouquet.
"Oh, look at the lovely roses.  I've never seen such a
beautiful shade of peach in a rose.  I must save it as a
     I have seen this process many times, but I watch in
awe each time.  She takes one of the roses and cuts the
bottom at an angle with a pair of scissors, wraps the
bottom in a dampened paper towel and places the rose in a
plastic bag to keep it moist.
     Now I know it's my turn.  The magic is about to begin.
I run to the pantry to get a quart jar, once used for
canning peaches.
     "Here's the enchanted glass jar," I announce, as I
return with it.
     We head for her lilac bush.  I carry the jar and the
plastic bag that contains the rose.  She carries warm water
in an old coffee can, bent so that it has a spout on each
side of it.  My mother deliberately keeps her lilac bush
overgrown.  She trims it in such a way that it becomes fat
and dense.  The soil beneath it is damp and warm.  She
easily digs a hole with her hands and places the rose
cutting in the hole.  I help her carefully pack the dirt
around the rose.  She places the glass jar over the rose,
and firmly twists it into the ground.
     Finally, she gives the rose a drink, pointing the
spout of the coffee can to the bottom of the glass jar.
She whispers, "Oh, little rose, let me warm your toes,
this'll keep you safe when the cold wind blows.  See you in
the spring, little rose."
     "Little rose is all ready for her long winter's nap,"
she explains to me as we walk back to the house.
     My mother is shameless when it comes to asking for a
rose from someone's front yard or their garden.  But no one
ever refuses her request.  And one time, the giver was
especially glad she had shared her bounty.
     It was a lovely summer day.  My mother and I were
walking past our neighbor Dorothy working in her garden.
My mother stopped to admire one of Dorothy's roses.
     "I've never seen such a beautiful lavender rose,
blending into silver at the edge of the petals.  Would you
mind if I choose one to enjoy?" she asked Dorothy.  Proud
of her special lavender rosebush, Dorothy was delighted to
cut the rose and graciously hand it to my mother.  But the
lavender rose did not go into a vase, as Dorothy probably
assumed.  It joined the others under the lilac bush,
protected under its very own glass jar.
     That Christmas Dorothy told us that the beautiful
lavender rosebush had been stricken by disease in the fall,
and it couldn't be saved.  "It was my favorite," she said
sadly, "and I haven't been able to find another to replace
     Spring was delayed that year, but finally the fear of
frost was gone.  My mother was eager to uncover her rose
cuttings, each protected under its miniature greenhouse.
     "I wonder how many of my rose babies will be ready to
begin their new lives?" she mused.
     As always, I watched in amazement as my mother
uncovered her rose babies.  Carefully, she twisted the
first glass jar from the warm earth: It was the lavender
rose clipping.  Would that beautiful rose be reborn?  She
spied a baby shoot, a tiny leaf peeking its way through the
stem.  Indeed, the lavender rose was alive.
     Mom whispered to me, "Wait until late summer, and I'll
have a surprise for Dorothy.  I'll nourish our baby, and
it'll thrive into a beautiful bush.  She'll have her
lavender rosebush again.  It'll be our secret until then."
     And sure enough, late that summer, Dorothy cried for
joy as she received her surprise - a healthy new lavender
     On the card was the following:

       Here's a small gift from my garden to you.
       It began the day someone gave me a rose, too.
       I planted that rose in the good, warm earth,
       And I nurtured it - hence its happy rebirth.
       After you've planted this gift and it grows,
       To keep up the cycle, may I impose?
       If I may be bold, do you suppose,
       That I might request its very first rose?

       <><><><><> Enjoyed Today's Story? <><><><><>
Buy direct from our publisher, HCI, and SAVE 20% on Chicken
Soup Books: http://dailyinbox.com/cgi-bin/cse

Visit us at http://www.chickensoup.com to read other sample
stories and meet the authors.

Reprinted by permission of Georgia A. Hubley (c) 2000, from
Chicken Soup for the Gardener's Soul by Jack Canfield, Mark
Victor Hansen, Cynthia Brian, Cindy Buck, Marion Owen, Pat
Stone and Carol Sturgulewski.