Zone 5/4 freezing?

  • Subject: Zone 5/4 freezing?
  • From: James Sherwood <jimwsherwood@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 15:35:36 -0800 (PST)

You are near the home of some of my fave beers.
Chicago can get snowy and freezing too. A lake effect snow can add
200 % if the wind is right. So I worrk also.

I spent this afternoon bring big buckets of slightly frozen peat moss
in the house to warm and then covered the hostas, iris, jonquils,
topping onions that were jumping up, and remulching around the ferns
that stayed thru the winter. Then I put a layer over the rows of new
garlic I planted. Now that I have a batch of ferns due in a week,I
have to get a refb. Mantis tiller.

Walking around the backyard (.6 acre) could see a new south garden
path with an S curve in place of a old straight one and several new
planting beds areas in place of saplings cut out last year. I got a
bunch of 12" dia wolmanized wood posts 10 ft. long and have been
cutting them into slices to make raised beds. Most round sections are
4" thick but I also make seating areas from 14" rounds along the bed
areas. Takes some time with the saw, but the wood was free.

Check the plants on ebay.
Jim.

=====