Re: Volunteerism

  • Subject: Re: Volunteerism
  • From: CBCTPLANT@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 13:47:36 EST

 In the case  of "OUR"
Hosta Library, I would hate to see a fantastic thing suffer from want of
funds. This "sharing" seems very sensible to me. I know no one asked for my
vote,  but I vote  SHARE WITH THE HOSTA LIBRARY.      Glen

Thank you for once again stepping up.
From the earliest beginnings of the HostaLibrary to this day, Bob Axmear has
worked tirelessly without personal compensation for the thousands of hours he
has put in.
The HostaLibrary started with an online auction and it seems fitting to
replenish the funds that have sustained it for so long. There is nothing to
hide in the finances of the HostaLibrary or FIRST LOOK and anyone who wishes
to ask for an accounting of it can certainly be accommodated with a report.
There is no "membership" and no "dues" have been collected for either group.
All the plants, hours, bids, exchanges, have been donations freely given and
gratefully received.
From the person who has taken one photo to share right up to Bob himself, Pat
Mora and Mike Lemke sharing her valuable database and most recently the
generous consultation of George Schmid to say nothing of the countless other
contributors and volunteers, the HostaLibrary is a shining example of just
what can be accomplished with an idea carried forward to fruition.  The
HostaLibrary has been visited more than a half a million times and is well on
it's way to more than three quarters of a million times.  If this doesn't
promote hostas, I don't know what does.
As to FIRST LOOK and the online auction, everything that goes up for auction
is donated.  No funds are spent to get those plants. It has been a win win
situation from the beginning with the friendship plant being shared with
fellow hosta lovers.  It seems to be an activity that many look forward
to....  Last year half the proceeds were donated to the AHS and this year,
half will be donated to the HostaLibrary.
It is always stated up front what the funds will be used for so if anyone
doesn't believe in the cause, they needn't donate or participate.
Again, if anyone wishes to see where the funds go, all they need do is ask.
So thank you Glen for stepping up yet another time!

Carol in CT   z6/5
<A HREF="http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/";>FIRST LOOK 3</A>
The AHS Region One Meeting
June 14, 2003   Parsippany, NJ