Fwd: Robin Advertising Policy

The following is a post sent by Jim Wilkins to the AHS Robin:

<< Dear Robins:

 The following proposal was adopted by the executive committee of The
 American Hosta Society.  I want to thank Kevin Walek for drafting the
 policy.  It is important that we have an enforce such a policy as a
 "not-for-profit" organization.

 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxx

 Advertising Policy for AHS-sponsored email robin:

 Any e-mail message containing a solicitation, offering for purchase a product
 or products, offered by the person initiating the e-mail who will benefit,
 directly or indirectly, by the sale of said products, is prohibited on this
 robin.  An e-mail which indicates the availability of a catalog, even if
there
 is a charge, is NOT a solicitation for purposes of this policy.  Further, an
 e-mail containing a reference, or a hyperlink to a homepage which contains
 offered products likewise is NOT a solicitation under this policy.  A
 reference by an individual who does not directly benefit from the publication
 of the message, such as Tom Smith's Hosta 'XYZ' is fantastic even at a price
 of $X, is acceptable so long as the person sending the message is not being
 paid, or otherwise remunerated by Tom Smith for making the communication!
Any
 questions should be directed to Carolyn Schaffner <drsnooks@buffnet.net>.

 Violations of the above policy will be referred to the robin committee for
 appropriate disciplinary action.

Dear All,

I do not see how the AHS, as a not-for-profit corporation, would benefit from
postings that indicate hostas for sale. If this is indeed contrary to being a
NFP corporation, why allow postings from nursery people that indicate how one
can acquire a catalog?
Why allow a posting that gives a link to a listing?

Perhaps the AHS should, if they are wedded to this policy, refuse to publish
advertisements and prices in the Hosta Journal. Please note that this done in
every issue. See, e.g., the ad of Greenhill Farms in the last issue.
This new policy is another slam at nursery people and another attempt by the
AHS to enter the market place--THAT is indeed not appropriate for a NFP corp.

In my opinion, this policy is contra the mission of the AHS. Wouldn't that
mission be promoted by letting members know where they can acquire hostas and
at what prices?

I have not checked this out with Joanne and Dan but I think what the AHS now
forbids, the Hosta-Open listserve would allow.

I have had a hard time trying to figure out the real reason or reasons for
this policy.
The reason that Jim Wilkins gives is without foundation.

Sincerely,

Clyde Crockett

-- BEGIN included message

-- BEGIN included message

[...]