Re: Hosta Growth

Butch Ragland wrote:
 That is not to say that
amending the soil isn't worthwhile but other resent work says it only works
to add the amendments on the surface.
I think this is a pretty good topic, although we may be dragging it along too long, because it actually has something to do with growing hostas and there seems to be a lot of disagreement about how to plant them.

If I understand Butch's thesis, it is that amending your soil by incorporating organics is of no value.  I mean no disrespect, but that simply doesn't make any sense to me.  If you are telling me that that water is important, how can it be of no value to incorporate organic matter to loosen the clay in my yard so that the water and air can actually get to the roots?   I'm sure that it is probably better to let the worms do it, but do you actually have studies that show that if you don't have time to let the worms do it, that loosening the clay and adding compost or some other organic material is of no value?  If you start with good soil, I might be less skeptical, but otherwise I'm not convinced.

Now, on the other hand, when people tell me they know something because they've been gardening for 30 years, my first thought is "maybe you've been doing it wrong for 30 years".  So I'm at least willing to listen. Though you'll never convince me.
Just another unbiased opinion from