Re: soil and roots

zonneveld wrote:

> So if you plant has been growing in a container with soilless compost
> and you place the whole in say clay, the roots will not function nor
> will the plant make new roots as it already has ( "useless") roots.

After insisting on science rather than anecdotes, I should probably
hesitate to argue with someone who obviously has a scientific backround,
but that's just not me.

Taking this statement at face value would lead me to expect that most of
my customers would be clammoring for refunds since I sent them plants
with useless roots that would not function.  Fortunately for me that is
not the case.

Since the vast majority of plants produced in this country are grown in
soilless mixes, and since the vast majority of gardeners probably do very
little to amend their soil, it makes me wonder how anything survives and
why my customers keep coming back for more.

Now, you can tell me that it might be better if I grew my plants in the
same soil that the customer has, and I might have to admit that if that
were possible I would certainly try.  But to say that plants grown in a
soilless mix have roots that are useless when planted in the real world
strikes me as a bit of a stretch. (I had to search for just the right
phrase there, it could have been worse)

What do the Dutch grow their plants in?