Re: Hosta Growth

BBROWNJ@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 2/8/99 1:33:07 AM Eastern Standard Time, Meum71@aol.com
> writes:
> << So the use
>  of hormones and vitamins do not have as much of an effect as a good program
> of
>  watering and fertilizing. >>
> AMEN to that
> Barbara Jones
At our garden, the display plants, have never been fertlized.  Some
areas have been established as long as eighteen years.  Even in the
fields, we do very little fertlizing.  We pay special attention ,
however, to the continual addtion of humus products.  Leaf mould, well
rotted bark, grape pummice and cranberry pummice, are some of my
favorite sources. These material as they break down add many nuteriants
to the soil.  In our display beds, this material is added every spring
on the surface, after gently "turning in" the remains of what was added
the previous year. We combine this , of course, with a steady supply of
water. In the field , we usually dig entire varieties for division
during mid and late summer, and that whole area, is covered with about
six inches of humus, which is tilled in prior to re planting.  In our
containers, we do use a timed release 50/50, 12-6-4. Our potting media,
is a high humus sandy soil, mixed fifty fifty with grape pummice.
This really works for us.  At no point do we use liquid fertlizers.  The
reason , as I have observed at many gardens, is that intense fertlizing
tends to "push" large and soft growth.  This is very pretty and looks
wonderful.  Thouble is, it is great slug bait, easly hail damages,
tends to tear and puncture in wind and from debris drop from trees and
in general, starts to deteriorate rapidly by August.  My thinking in
this is supported by many others, including Alex Summers.  I think in
some cases, a carefully worked our fertlizing program is benificial.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens
10749  Bennett Rd.
Dunkirk,  NY  14048