Re: Hosta Growth

At 10:20 AM 2/8/99 -0500, Chick wrote:
Yes I do have the studies, have posted them several times, check archives mostly under soils. Universities of Minn, Saskaschewan, Florida, Cornell, Sydney AU, USDA.

The main part of the system is not worms but fungus.

It does assume you don't have dead hard pan clay and just because its red doesn't mean its dead. If there are things growing then the process is at work, leave it alone. Yes, it does assume growing soil.

I won't try to convince you since my experience is that information seldom overcomes prejudice.
but do you actually have studies that show that if you don't have time to let the worms do it, that loosening the clay and adding compost or some other organic material is of no value? If you start with good soil, I might be less skeptical, but otherwise I'm not convinced.

Now, on the other hand, when people tell me they know something because they've been gardening for 30 years, my first thought is "maybe you've been doing it wrong for 30 years". So I'm at least willing to listen. Though you'll never convince me.

Just another unbiased opinion from

Butch Ragland So. Indiana zone 5