Ken, you can waste a lot of space on weak seedlings.  Some times upon
examining the small crown closely you will discover that the slower growing
seedling is not as firm and healthy as others. Even though there is no rot the
coloration is not as clean.
To me there is no cut and proven answer to your question.  Things that I
always try to consider are:
1. What are the parents?  Here I rely a great on their phenotype as well as
what they have produced in the past.
2. What was the desired purpose of the cross?  Was it color, size, etc?
3. I check the substance.
4. Does it portray any unique characteristics?  Color combinations, shape etc?
5. Does it have great potential as an outstanding plant?  In other words would
I think it worth waiting a few extra years for it to make a showing in my
6.  Most of all do I like it?  Some plants speak, while others are the blahs.