How do Growers price a new Hosta Mutation?

This is a subject I've always had curiosity for but never knew who to ask for
reliable information.  Therefore I'm putting it out to the group for some
serious discussion.  I want to know how all you breeders/propagaters/or lucky
individuals that happen to be in the right place at the right time...go about
setting a price for a new Hosta you wish to offer for sale.

Let's use the example of a newly discovered reversed version of say Gold
Standard...and a striped mutation of Wide Brim.  Now the easy way out is to
grow on a nice specimen and bring it to the National Summer Meeting Auction
and let the chips fall where they may and the "Spoils" will simply go to the
highest bidder.  If it brings big bucks, then one can conclude there is
probably High demand for the plant and it can be priced accordingly...but what
is that price to be set at...$50...$100...$25...$200 ??

Now if you don't go the Auction route and simply decide to introduce a new
plant, what do you use to determine the starting price.  How do each of you
that are selling Hosta Retail decide?  Lets all use the example of Tissue
Cultured plants that you contract out through a TC lab.  We all know that OS
plants will demand a higher price...but for consistency sake....let's stick
with first year TC plants.  I really hope we can have some serious discussion
of this because I think there are a lot of people that can benefit from the
years of experience many of us bring to this Robin.

So please, save this message until you have time to sit down and reply
thoroughly.  Even if that isn't for a couple of days or so...I for one really
can use some help along this line.

Everyone that grows Hosta will one day find themselves asking this same
question...maybe not this year....but definitely some day....Mother Nature
does her own breeding and mutating so some day everyone will have something
new to share so it will be of interest to everyone.

If you decide you'd rather e-mail me privately with your answer to this
one...I certainly can understand so you are certainly encouraged to do so!

Looking forward to your reply,
Dave Jennings
Cofounder and First President
Upstate New York Hosta Society