Calling all Easterners...er...everyone!

As some of you know, I'm working in Guatemala for the next several months.
I'm looking for things to entertain myself, and one of the top things on my
list, is to begin the design of my garden at my retirement property.

For those that don't know, I bought my piece of heaven last summer. The
challenge is, there's a large portion of the land that I can only plant
certain things. I have a list of about 400 native plants and trees that are
acceptable.

I spent about an hour this morning looking in the Amazon site for books on
Native plants of the Southeast, and came up with about 15 books so far. I
thought I'd ask you guys if you know of a good reference book for native
trees, shrubs and wildflowers. My particular interest is the Southeast (my
lot is in South Carolina), but really there's lots of plants listed from
Virginia, Maryland, NJ, Pennsylvania, etc. So I thought a good Eastern US
book would be good.

I'm planning a trip to the Clemson University library, which I'm told is a
great reference. Thought I'd pick your brains and see if you can give me
some recommendations on a good book or two. Also, any nurseries that you can
recommend that has natives would be welcome. Mostly I want to start with
basic plant information and pictures. Need lots of pictures! I'm a visual,
LOL! Any web sites you know of?
Does anyone know if there's a Piedmont Native plant society?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Lu (Atlanta, Zone 7B)