Re: quercis macrocarpa, Burr Oak

Hi all,
Monty is right. We are very lucky in the fact that we have so many diverse
oaks here in Minnesota.
On my lot I have The Burr, Red and White Oak, Pin Oaks. And as they grow in
the area with the Poplars (with my encouragement) I have put in a few maples.
2 Sugar Maples, 1 Red Maple, 1 varigated Maple. Our Forrester of the city
here says because of the Oak wilt and other tree disease, diversity is still
the best bet.
I am still looking for that Varigated Oak. It did manage to slip to the back
burner during hosta season. Some day I would love to have one of those.
Now I have to fight to save the Oaks across the street from us. The airport
that owns the land wants to clear the land of all trees. Put a berm in place
and some poor excuse of their idea of landscaping. I would like to see them
leave at least 100 feet of trees to cover the hangers they want to put in
there. And just forget the street they want to move. It will end up either
right at my driveway, or making a T right in front of my front kitchen Bay
window. I knew there was a reason I planted 5 pines along the street in front.
Know any good tree huggers? I am going to hate to lose my beautiful view.

-5 this morning