Re: quercis macrocarpa, Burr Oak

Dan,
  Very few get to see a tree from this perspective and
> of those few even fewer really appreciate these large plants for what
they
> are and how intertwined trees are with humans past, present and future.
  I would hope ....that many people would have this same perspective, which
you describe.
  I have not been perched quit so high in an oak, but I do most of my
hunting from elevated stands, and some are in huge old, giant burr oaks.
Most of the time I could care less about the end result of the hunt, but
being up in a huge, old oak and observing is enjoyable.....almost as if you
are part of the landscape
Monty
----------
> From: Dan Nelson <sussextreeinc@ce.net>
> To: hosta-open@mallorn.com
> Subject: RE: quercis macrocarpa, Burr Oak
> Date: Saturday, January 20, 2001 9:25 AM
>
> Monty,
> Swamp White Oak (quercis bicolor I believe) Does very well here and I
have
> heard it transplants well like you say. I hope to get 200 bare root swamp
> white oaks in the ground this spring. White Oaks are the best of the oaks
> here in Delaware in my opinion and one of my favorite trees to rope
climb.
> The large curved branch structure on specimens 100 years old or older are
> beautiful to look at and the most fun to climb. There is very little that
> compares to the feeling of being 70 or 80 feet up in a tree and looking
down
> and seeing the large leaders including the one you are climbing on gently
> bending in the breeze. Very few get to see a tree from this perspective
and
> of those few even fewer really appreciate these large plants for what
they
> are and how intertwined trees are with humans past, present and future.

In