Re: Kalopanax

Clyde, I would feel privileged to send you a small aralia spinosa shoot this
spring. If you remember my mother's garden in Michigan, on one front corner
at the sidewalk was a very spiny tree. Just inside the split rail fence.

The story goes like this: when we were young rambunctious boys running
through the yards and my grandpa's nursery across the street, we would grab
the young trees, sometimes ripping leaves and branches. It would frustrate my
parents and grandfather who was growing trees/shrubs in the nursery across
the street.

He had an aralia spinosa that he cherished - again I believe it may have come
from Austria-Hungary or present day Romania , he said Transylvania, but that
was just to scare us young boys.

He told my mother he had a way to cure us boys from ripping trees when we ran
around the neighborhood and his nursery - he planted one of those aralias
right at the corner of my mother's garden.

Now we would never run through Mom's garden , we knew better, but in only a
few years we were cured of grabbing ANY branches of any trees.

Years later I recall an angry neighbor lady yelling at my mother as her small
son had been severely scratched by trying to rip the aralia (we used to say
bitten by the Devil's Walking Stick) he almost needed stitches to close the
gash. He didn't grab any more trees or shrubs at 626 West Lincoln, that's for

I can share these with others as supply lasts. In very cold winters they will
die back but resprout. You do need to select the strongest branches and keep