Re: the hosta people journal

  • Subject: Re: the hosta people journal
  • From: Shishi@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:01:52 EST

the hosta people

the genus, and the journal would be nothing at all
without the people.
whether it's the great pioneers of the genus, who worked to give us the hostas we have today, or the neighbor who first shares a hosta with another neighbor, or the people who open their gardens for us to enjoy,
people are the most important aspect of our life here on earth.
hostas cannot love.
hostas cannot smile back at us.
hostas cannot multiply us.

it seems we have scientific journals to record all the "facts" of the science, and those to study them.  frankly, how genomes are arranged, or how cloroplasts arrange themselves on a surface just doesn't excite me.
sure, there will always be "personalities" we don't like, or have a falling out with, but the greater good here is a bonding with like minded folks, who can overlook minor differences to come together; even if once a year, and enjoy the companionship of other "growers."

i, for one, am glad to have a vehicle where we can see our friends, see our work honored, and share our love for the genus, and each other.

congrats on a spectaular issue, and a tribut to the people who produce it.
thanks to kevin, for raising the standard to where it is today.

"...the greatest of these is love."

Harry Abel
we do not create the beauty, we only point out the beauty God has created
        hand carved stone water basins            traditional bamboo water
garden accessories
        japanese maples         dwarf bamboos                hosta bonsai
psalm 150
rock and roll