Re: Why Grow Other's Seeds? / Junk Hostas

  • Subject: Re: Why Grow Other's Seeds? / Junk Hostas
  • From: Pat Mora patmora@comcast.net
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 16:05:17 -0600

HI Chick:
    I fear junk Hosta's will always be a problem. If we continue with
discussion such as we are having now hopefully the information will become
available with the use of public databases that are updated often. The
hostas mentioned, H.'Golden Sunburst', H.'Exotic Francis Williams',
H.'Winning Edge', H.'Dupage Delight', H.'Snow Cap, H.'Creme De Menthe' and
H.'Lunar Eclipse' are mentioned in the Searchable Database with the concerns
mentioned in these latest email's. The following for H. 'Wide Brim' will be
added when the Searchable Database is updated (when the 2002 registrations
are available):  "At a young stage of development, the foliage appears
attractive, but with maturity the margins partially drop out, tearing along
the edge and produces a jagged, sawtooth effect. This problem is exaggerated
with heavy fertilization. The plant will perform best potted, this seems to
relieve the drop-out of the leaves. The problem with the center section of
the leaf, having more chlorophyll and growing at a faster rate than the
white edge, causes the edge to pucker and tear."
    Hmmmm, perhaps a new check box should be added to the Database to raise
a red flag of caution for purchase? Nah, probably way too radical.
Pat Mora