Re: Pictures of Hosta doing poorly

  • Subject: Re: Pictures of Hosta doing poorly
  • From: Giboshiman@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 11:09:40 EST

In a message dated 1/12/2003 10:58:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
alttara@earthlink.net writes:

> Will there be  follow-up where we can staunchly defend our favorites on
> the list, and submit fabulous pictures?

Absolutely, after it is published in the Journal I will also give it to the
lists to use for discussion.  As you will see it is designed to improve the
knowledge base and to instill further discussion, debate and research.  A
couple of passages to give you an idea of the discussion level in the

"As noted Peter Ruh provided me with a very thoughtful letter on the table,
some of which has resulted in slight revisions to the presentation.  Peter
also gave me some ideas for future articles for the Journal and many of you
may wish to follow-up on these ideas."

"Peter pointed out that for him H. 'Ryan's Big One' was not a runt, but
rather was a very slow grower.  This observation caused me to go back and
talk to some of the people that voted for 'Ryan's Big One' and made this
complaint.  It was interesting to note that the "runt" descriptor appears to
track back to one TC lab and one "batch" of liners.  Thus, I have begun
trying to build a new column for each of the cultivars on this list which
indicates which lab either produced the batch, or originated the
"questionable" cultivar.  Although I am collecting this data, I will have to
carefully weigh its publication.  That aside, please feel free to share
similar "observations" with me."

"Peter also suggested it would be useful to go back to the voters, or for
future reference, ask the voters, to determine and report on soil conditions,
sun or shade, drought conditions, and whether the plants were watered during
the drought.  I agree with Peter that the sun versus shade issue is likely to
be relevant, especially, in the "melt out" and "burn" cultivars.  I discussed
this issue in greater detail in my article entitled "Hostas" Sun or Shade,"
on page 21 of Volume 32, Number 2 of The Hosta Journal, Bob Solberg's article
"Sun or Shade: Too Much of a Good Thing?", which follows on page 33 of that
same volume. Further efforts in these areas suggested by Peter are well
and also,

"The largest vote getter on this list is H. 'Great Expectations', which also
appears as number 3 on the 2001 Popularity Poll.  Hosta 'Great Expectations'
is also the number one seller in Northern Virginia nurseries.  At the same
time in a non-scientific survey of 4 nurseries in this same area, it is the
hosta that most people complain that they have to replace when returning to
the same nursery.  Over two-thirds of the ballots naming this cultivar come
from people living south of the Mason-Dixon Line!"