Re: Pictures of Hosta doing poorly

Well, it's your article, and of course you have every right to defame good plants if you like, but since I detect some wavering and waffling...

What's the point of including plants on a list like this and then explaining why they probably don't belong on it. Region might me a legitimate reason, I would think that people in an area where a specific hosta doesn't do well should be aware of the problem. I would assume that most would read the article and assume that it was written as a warning about the plants on the list. If there is no good reason to warn hosta growers in general away from choosing a plant, I don't see the point in including it. Even the fact that there may have been a bad batch of Big Daddy produced is no reason to warn people away from the plant unless a significant percentage of the plants on the market now have a problem. The fact that a few people had a problem or don't personally like a plant that most of us can grow just fine is no reason to warn people away from them, even if you follow the warning by telling the reader not to pay much attention to it.

Thankful to have someone to pick on this cold Sunday morning.

Giboshiman@aol.com wrote:

Richard, I think you and Chick will see that Hosta like Big Daddy -- which is also a good for me might be on the list for reasons that are explained by region, location, bad batch from the TC lab, etc. Big Daddy is actually on the "bubbling under the list but getting close. But I combined them all into one list to make a shorter email.
PS. some of my favorites that grow great for me, are also on the list.
An earlier version of the list,even without the article has gone to members of the AHGA in thier newsletter and I have recived only kudos and positive feedback, including a letter from Peter Ruh which is referenced in the article, as I made some adjustments at Peter's suggestion. I have also gotten comments from growers that have helped explain further why some may have made the list, and the article expresses the hope to elicit more such commentary and research, etc, into the issues it raises.