Re: Winter Dormancy

  • Subject: Re: Winter Dormancy
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 09:25:49 -0500

In Florida do like the Italians. They pot their H. plantaginea and raise
them on pedestals. In northern Italy, say from a line (east-west) 50 miles
south of the Po River the air gets pretty cold in winter and that air
chilling is enough to be able to grow it. They even have snow from time to
time (Rare!) It blooms abundantly if given plenty of water in late
July/August. It hails from 27 degree North in China (my garden is 34 degrees
North) so is used to hot weather and warm nights. I'd say that Tampa-St.
Augustine might be a southernmost line for it. Remember, the August lily is
an exception. All other hostas might grow into USDA zone 8. I have seen
plenty in Charleston, Savannah, Brunswick, Jacksonville and into the eastern
panhandle. George
W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL