Re: Look-Alike Hostas

In a message dated 1/17/99 12:18:13 AM Central Standard Time,
ranbl@netsync.net writes:

<< icky
 I have a Gold Drop that has not been moved or divided for about seven
 years.  It is almost four feet across.  It does not look to me exactly
 like Gold Edger, but they are similar.
 Ran >>

I do not have large clumps of each of Gold Drop or Gold Edger. (I have some
'Gold Drop' that is four years old and they are 15 inches wide) They are
divided up every three years and planted real close to each other, so I
imagine they are showing juvenile leaf shapes.
I find it very interesting the size that some of the reported Hosta get. When
you look at the official descriptions of the plants they are much smaller --
the plants in our display bed are the same way. That brings up my question-is
any one compiling information on the ultimate size of different Hosta as they
reach 'maturity'
I realize that Hosta grow differently in different parts of the country or in
other countries.
It would be nice to have a record of how big plants really get.