RE: Change in registered cultivar name

Chris,

Actually, the cutoff Pete Ruh mentioned was 1959 (year the first Code was
published).  As you can see from the article below the rule does apply to
all Latin words except in the case of a name of an ancient Roman person or
place. The rules of The International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated
Plants apply to all cultivated plants, not just hosta, and are not just by
the applied by the AHS.

"17.9.  To be established, a new cultivar epithet published on or after 1
January 1959 must be a word or words in a modern language (except as
otherwise required under Art. 17.3); Latin words or words which may be
considered to be Latin, and thus are liable to cause confusion, may not be
used unless they are the classical name of an ancient Roman person, or of a
place." (ICNCP 1995)

I do agree that Magna Cum Laude is not likely to be confused with a species
name.

David Stevenson
Hosta Registrar