Re: Change in registered cultivar name

According to Pete Ruh,  the AHS has this rule against Latin names unless
you can provide proof that the plant was found before 1969 (I'm not sure
the relevance of this date).  The confusion comes in when people choose
Latin names that coincide with names of other species of plants outside
hostas.  Then the AHS applies this rule to every Latin word eventhough
it may not be used in any Latin based plant name.  Magna Cum Laude, for
example contains three Latin words all of which would probably never be
used in any other plant across the board but since they are Latin they
are rejected.  I hope I did not confuse everyone with all this...if I
did email me and I will try to better explain.
Chris

Gokamp@aol.com
>writes:
>
><< We registered H. Magna Cum Laude' in 1998.  The registration was
rescinded
> because, "Latin words or words that are considered Latin, and thus are
liable
> to cause confusion, may not be used unless they are the classical name
of an
> ancient Roman person, or place".  The new registered name is H.
'People's