Re: Judging Leaves.... much to be desired.

NardaA@aol.com wrote:

> Kris, someone convinced my Mom that cutting a slug in half only allowed it to
> grow into two slugs.

Not true--they are mollusks. If you puncture their skin, they die. They are
about 98% water. Sometimes it looks like the head is crawling away, but that
doesn't last long. They are disintegrated by morning if you cut them up at dusk
(when they come out from under their rocks or up from the grass).

> She also tells me that the one part ammonia to five parts water sprayed on
> them works pretty well, better than salt she says.

Salt's a mess, I think ammonia water is too. Can't have slug bait or
diatomaceous earth or beer with dogs running around. Beer only attracts, and
just a few slugs per night at that. Scissors is cheap and effective. First year
I did it I was very busy. Water at dusk, go out at dark and start cutting them
up, second year smaller slugs, third year fewer slugs but all the big
tiger-striped ones, fourth year hardly any. Gradually I found their nests. It's
become a ritual. My kids think it's a scream that I go out in my jammies with a
headlight on and cut up slugs. But, hey, you should see my hole-free hostas!

Kristi A. Groberg, Ph.D.

"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."