Re: hosta images

  • Subject: Re: hosta images
  • From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 10:42:30 -0400

Hello Joe,

Nice to chat with you again.I received the photo with the green streak down
the center of Tokudama Flavocircinalis. I have seen this type of variegation
several times now. I believe it is a form in transition  with incomplete
sorting out of tissue with many green plastids in some tissue ( perhaps LII?)
and light green  (smaller number  or population  of plastids)  in other
tissue, ( perhaps LI) . This is the sort of early incomplete sorting out that
I found in "Parky's Prize" some years ago. It sorted out eventually to a
larger area of dark green tissue in the center and a light green or chartreuse
border. Later,  plants of Birchwood Parky's Gold in tisse culture had an
identical (? ) sport occurence  and  a tissue transfer which resulted in the
reverse pattern of the dark green and light green  tissues involved. Zilis
found this in his lab and named this plant 'Sweet Home Chicago'. I found the
same in my garden and find it is identical to Zilis' plant except it is  from
a different source.They are both excellent plants and have similar
characteristics except for the opposite pattern of of the variegation. Mary
Chastain just last night noted this hosta ( Parky's Prize) and its performance
in her garden. Since there is perhaps others who are interested in this sport
occurrence, I am copying hosta-open. Hope you don't mind.

.Best Regards, Jim